Unlike summons or a bench warrant, which can be issued in various scenarios by different judicial bodies, an arrest warrant in a felony or misdemeanor is only granted by the criminal court in Dekalb County, IL. Another crucial difference between other detention orders and an arrest warrant is that the latter is exclusively issued when the sheriff’s department files a formal request with the court.
The local law enforcement agency approaches the judiciary for an arrest warrant with an affidavit that offers the magistrate insight on the crime, evidence, and other information about the suspect. While the evidence does not have to prove the crime at this point, any proof that would make a reasonable person believe the suspect’s role in the incident is enough to get a warrant.
A signed document that mentions all the information from the writ and the person’s rights to be taken into custody is called an active arrest warrant. Once such an arrest order is issued in Dekalb County, Illinois, it stays in effect regardless of how long it has been since its issuance. All un-served active arrest orders are stored in the nationwide criminal database as outstanding arrest warrants.
For arrest records and a warrant search, the Sherriff’s Office of Dekalb County will prove to be a unique resource. You can visit them at 150 N Main St, Sycamore, Illinois 60178, or speak to the records clerk by dialing 815-895-2155. At this point, the police department does not entertain requests for warrant search over the phone, so paying a visit in person is the only option.
However, you can get the same information through a third party criminal database hosted online. Fill in the form to access this database and conduct your search for arrest records without stepping out.
Can you get any information about DeKalb County warrants and arrest over the phone? (2021-Update)
- For information on recent arrests, general detention-related details and an inmate search, call DeKalb County Jail at 815-895-4177.
- For information on arrest warrants and arrest records, call the Administrative Division of the Sheriff’s Office at 815-895-7260.
- For general inquires and reporting someone with an active warrant, use the non-emergency phone number of the Sheriff’s Department- 815-895-2155.
- For contacting the detective working on your criminal case, call Investigations at 815-895-2155.
- For victim’s services and information on order of protection, contact the DeKalb County State Attorney’s Office at 815-895-7164.
- For judicial records, including court dockets, case hearing dates and conviction details, connect with the Circuit Clerk at 815-895-7138 or 815-895-7131.
Crime statistics for DeKalb County, IL
The crime rates of DeKalb County doubled from 2018 to 2019. As compared to the 2018 annual incident rate of fewer than 70 cases, in 2019, nearly 115 criminal complaints were filed with the local law enforcement office.
This was attributed to a rise of almost 70% in the rate of property crimes (from 51 cases to 85 cases) and an increase of nearly 80% in the rate of violent crimes (from 16 to 28 incidents).
The crime rate indexes released for Dekalb in 2010 showed that the area’s total crime rate is considerably lower at just about 40 compared to the national average, which stands at nearly 100. While homicide-related cases are the rarest in the county, like all other parts of the country, burglary and robbery pose a significant threat for the residents.
Rape and assault were lower than the national average yet do pose a cause for concern. However, the most startling figure that emerged through the records was robbery; the risk of crimes in this category was higher than the country-wide average.