While the crime rate in Champagne County, IL, is not particularly problematic, this certainly does not mean that you should forego the all-important consideration of a background check and warrant search with new acquaintances, whether social or professional. It would make sense to keep yourself updated on the crime scene in the county, including people who often feature in the ‘most wanted’ list, and familiarize yourself with arrest-related laws and procedures.
When searching for arrest records or looking for information on legal detention, you are bound to come across the term” arrest warrants.” These documents can be defined as judicial orders that direct the local law enforcement agency to bring in a person before the court to answer his crimes.
Although detention orders can be issued in various scenarios, warrants issued in criminal matters can only be procured from a criminal judicial body like the local criminal court. To get the warrant, the police have to make a formal request to the sitting magistrate with a writ that mentions the crime, information about the perpetrator, and the probable cause for suspecting the individual in question.
Suppose the details provided in the affidavit are found to be sufficient, even if not conclusive enough to prove the crime. In that case, the judge signs the arrest order, making it an active arrest warrant issued in Champagne County, Illinois. If, for any reason, this warrant is not served, it is not retracted. All cold-active arrest orders are held back in the system as outstanding arrest warrants.
When looking for information on arrest records, it would be prudent to start with the Sherriff’s Office of Champagne located at 204 E Main St, Urbana, Illinois 61801. You can also contact them by dialing 217-384-1204. However, they do not allow a warrant search over the phone. This might pose a problem for a person seeking warrant-related information about himself/herself. A simpler and safer option, in this case, is to browse through online records by filling the form above.
How do you get information on Champaign County arrests and warrants over the phone? (2021-Update)
- For information on arrests and inmates, call the Champaign County Jail at 217-384-1243 and the Downtown Jail at 217-384-1240.
- For general inquiries, get in touch with the Sheriff’s Office at 217-384-1204.
- For arrest records, police reports, accident reports and criminal records, get in touch with the Law Enforcement and Civil Processes Division at 217-384-1204.
- For investigation-related questions, call 217-384-1213 (for victims only).
- For information on arrest warrants, call the Criminal Records Division at 217-384-1234.
- For victim’s assistance, call the State Attorney’s Office at 217-384-8625.
- For information on filing a request for a criminal background search, call the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office at 217-384-3725.
Crime statistics for Champaign County, IL
Although the annual crime figures of Champaign County dropped by a mere 5% between 2018 and 2019, the change deserves a mention for its effect on the violent crime rates of the area. In 2018, more than 100 incidents of violent crime were reported in Champaign. But, by 2019, this figure had plunged by more than 50% to reach an annual average of fewer than 50 incidents.
Champaign County’s crime index is at 14; this means the area is considerably safer than some other counties in the state and the country. Despite this, on average, over 370 violent crimes are reported in Champagne each year, along with almost 3000 property-related criminal incidents.